Sunday 14 August 2011

CR84FN36 ...

... while my friends in the States have already sent their children back to school, we are only half way through the school summer holidays here in the UK, but time is moving on and it's time for the new CR84FN challenge.  Our colours for the next fortnight are yellow, kraft and neutral - bright, sunshine colours.



Our inspiration photos are courtesy of Martha Stewart - check out that site - so many gorgeous things to see :)  I have a thing about stationery, a passion that I think is shared by most crafters, I love papers, inks, card - and I just love the stationery photo in our graphic.  However, that's not the picture that inspired my card.  Actually, it was the cake - I rather like the sweet flowers on the cake and used them for my inspiration!!  And isn't that a fabulous quote?  So true!

So to my card.  I decided that it was time to play with my sewing machine again - I did post a couple of cards on Friday on which I'd done some sewing, but I think this one is much better.  I cut layer of kraft card onto which I stitched some pretty yellow paper.  I used two lines of stitching - simple straight stitch and a zig-zag stitch - I really like the effect.  Then I attached a strip of kraft across the centre of this panel - again using zig-zag stitch.  I found some pretty yellow and white fluffy wool in my stash and wrapped this around the panel.  The whole lot was attached to the base card using dimensional tape. 

I used Spellbinders Labels 18 to cut a layer for the sentiment.  I stamped a pretty border around the edge and embossed it with clear powder, and then added colour with my distress inks.  I used a dark brown to stamp the sentiment - embossing the word "birthday" to make it stand out.  To make sure that the other words were positioned correctly I used my stamp-a-ma-jig.  As the wool is quite thick - I attached the sentiment with dimensional tape.

The little flowers - which were the inspiration for this card - are echoed in the card with my chrysanthemums.  I stamped the large image with kraft ink, embossed with clear powder and coloured it with Promarkers, then I added a smaller flower to the centre.  I added a little sparkle to both flowers.  The other two flowers were stamped with a solid flower and fussy cut - but it was really quick.  The leaves were die cut with one of my Spellbinders foliage sets.  Finally, I added a jewelled flourish. 


Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Big Blooms - Chrysanthemums, Say It Loud, Very Vintage Labels No 18
Inks: Stampin' Up! - Crumb Cake, Early Espresso; Distress - Mustard Seed
Spellbinders:  Labels 18 (S4-310) #4; Foliage (S4-328)
Promarkers: Yellow, Lemon, Soft Lime
Accessories:  Papermania - Lemon Sorbet Capsule Collection; wool fibres, jewelled flourish and card from stash

Full details of how to play along with CR84FN can be found on the challenge blog - we'd love to see what you make with these wonderful colours.  If you want more inspiration - do check out the Design Team's blogs:


We went to my in-laws yesterday to pick up Kathryn.  She had a fantastic week with her Nanny, Grandpa, Aunty and cousin - but she did miss us a bit.  Still Skype is a wonderful thing and we were able to see Kathryn and talk to her.  It's nice to have here home.  It's the last day of Jonathan's holiday and he's back to work tomorrow - so nice that it's in the UK and not Mumbai!!  That's all for today.  See you tomorrow.

28 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful card Deborah! That label is gorgeous and I love all the blooms!

Anita Braddock said...

great card love the spellbinders label. I love the flowes lots. thanks for sharing

Stamps and Paper said...

Love this colour combination and your card is beautiful. Love that labels die..mm might have to add this to my list! Great stitiching too.

Anne

Jackie said...

Beautiful card, lovely colours :o)
Jackie xx

Stella said...

I'm in awe...your take on the colors is gorgeous and you added so many beautiful details to your card. Brilliant use of the Chrysanthemums stamps; wow!Into my favorite folder it goes!
XX

Karen B. said...

Wow-beautiful! I love that the yellow sentiment panel really stands out against the other elements on your card.

Heather Rogers said...

Funny how fast the craft room seems to fill up, hu? I know what you mean. ;)

This is beautiful. Love your stitching and pretty flowers adorning the SB label. :)
Hugs~

Lisa Somerville said...

Beautiful BD card, love the added blossoms!

Vicky Hayes said...

This is really lovely Deborah - I love the colours together and the way you stitched the paper to the kraft.

Marie said...

What a delightful card. I love the stitching and the fancy cut flowers. No school yet here in New York, kids go back on September 7, grandsons first day...I will be watching with mixed emotions.

Tara Cardwell said...

Wow, wow, wow! This is just classy, fabulous and gorgeous! I love it - the colours and shapes are all stunning - going to pin this one to my pinterest board.
Tara x

farmhouse-story said...

oh, i love what you've done with your sentiment label, deb:) sweet flowers, too!

G Peplow said...

Wonderful card Deborah, great colours and a gorgeous central label. Glad things are returning to normal for you, is your knee recovering well? Gay xxx

Beverly Montez said...

Very pretty, Deborah! I am lovin' that big label you used. Also, don't you love Crumbcake Ink!? Such a useful color!
XO
Beverly

Sasha said...

Fabulous card, Deborah. Love your stitching, stamped and layered flowers. Also love what you did with your label. I've just ordered the 'Say It Out Loud' stamps, they always look so striking!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful card. Lovely layers of flowers and the stitching is fabulous!

Donna Mosley said...

Very beautiful Deborah, love the gorgeous yellows.

Donna x

Sandie said...

Oh my word!! This is just fantastic. Wonderful colour combo and you KNOW I love those stamps!!!! xx

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

So pretty! The stitching and wool look great! Love those flowers!

Unknown said...

Lovely birthday card, Deb! Your chrysanthemums are beautiful!

Lisa Elton said...

Goodness Deborah your flowers are so pretty! Thanks for this wonderful inspiration :)

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE the subtle yellow background, Deb, with those GORGEOUS blooms and bling flourish! FAB card!

veronica said...

love your layers. very pretty color combo too.

Andrea M said...

Deb, you did this card up RIGHT!!! WOW! Love the die cut with the beautiful sponging (I'm a big fan of those distress inks ;))! Such a beautiful birthday card!!!

Rosemary said...

super pretty card, deb!!

Buffy said...

Best and most gorgeous card on the planet xx

A Consuming Passion said...

Stunning card Deborah.......love the bright sunny colours with a soft grey......perfect!

Cyndie said...

Wow, this card is a knockout! Love the way you did the color gradation on the central die cut!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...