Tuesday 6 November 2012

Happy Thanksgiving ....

...  Morning all.  Yesterday was Guy Fawkes Night in the UK.   It started as a celebration that King James I survived an attack on the House of Lords in 1605, but now it's simply a good excuse for a bonfire party with friends and family and lots of fireworks!  It is not something that is celebrated in the US!  However, our little group of ex-pats got together last night for our own party.  We had a small bonfire with a Guy and some fireworks that had been left over from 4th July.  They were loud, huge and beautiful.  And we got a visit from the local Police!!! We discovered that fireworks are ONLY allowed to be used on federal holidays so technically we broke the law!!  Oops!  Fortunately, the Policeman was very understanding - he just made sure we put out the fire and had no more fireworks.  We all headed back to our friend's house for some chilli and beer.  It was a fun evening, but I don't think we're going to be starting a new tradition over here :))))

I do have a card to share this morning.  I think it's the last Thanksgiving I need for this year; I've used two challenges to make it:




Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Peace & Plenty, Bitty Banners
Inks: Stampin' Up! - Cajun Craze, Always Artichoke, Soft Suede
Spellbinders: Picot Edge Circles (S4-345) #2
Accessories:  SU Design Paper; Card from stash



I had fun playing with patterned papers on this card.  To make the cream panels I cut them to size and then randomly stamped some leaves on the lower panel with the fruits of autumn on the top panel.  I also stamped the sentiment on the top panel using Cajun Craze to make it stand out from the background pattern.  To make the little banner I simply stamped onto patterned paper, cut out and adhered them to the card, finishing off with little bows where the pennants join.

Kathryn has a day off school today - it's polling day!!  She is delighted to have the day off.  While we can't vote, Jonathan and I both enjoy watching the results.  That's all for now!  See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Stamps and Paper said...

well I have learnt something now about not being able to use fireworks unless its a federal holiday....what a shame...
YOur card is lovely Deborah and love your colour combo

Anne

anya said...

Great card, Deborah. I really like the leaf background that you created - its a great effect with all the layering! Thanks for joining us this week for the Play Date Cafe Challenge!

Jackie said...

Well of course we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but I love your card. Had a chuckle about your police visit, I wish they would be that diligent over here with folks letting off fireworks! :o)
Jackie xx

~amy~ said...

Such a wonderful card...love the flags! Thanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe!

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Deb! Love the warm colors! Thanks for joining along with MFT :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...