Thursday 27 February 2014

From boy to man ....

.... Wishing you all a very good morning!  Today, instead of a card, I've made a mini shadow box.  Yesterday I was out at my local craft store, Stampeddler, and they'd had some new products from Kaisercraft - some mini shadow frame boxes.  I decided I'd have a go at making one:

There was a boy - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Free Spirit Boy, Off Beat Backgrounds, Half Pint Heroes Additions
Inks: Stampin' Up! - Summer Starfruit, Bermuda Bay, Crumb Cake, Basic Black
Accessories: Kaisercraft - Mini Shadow Frame; Kaisercraft DP - Attitude; Distress Stains - Antique Linen, Pumice Stone


I used the colours from this week's Colour Q - cQc#230 and the theme is from our Waltzingmouse Fanatics Challenge - WMSFC#12, for the boys.  I think the hardest part of making this picture was selecting the three images of Ben that I wanted to use.  I love Ben's face on the baby photo - he was laughing so much!  Then in the middle he's a young teenager starting to learn photography.  The last photo was taken last summer when I was back in the UK - almost 18 and a young man!

Putting this together was really quick and very easy.  The box comes in two pieces - a back and a front frame - I stained both using two colours of Distress Stain, giving a dark kraft finish.  I stamped the front with some images from Off Beat Backgrounds - giving a grungy look.  The frame is 6½" × 6½" and is exactly the right size for Kaisercraft DP.  I simply selected my favourite sheet from Attitude! ran it through my Xyron and adhered it to the back of the frame.  I randomly stamped some graffiti style images around and finished the inside with these words from Half Pint Heroes Additions - they were all stamped on scrap card, cut out, distressed at the edges and then attached with dimensional tape.  Before attaching the front, I adhered the photos.  I used bulldog clips to hold the parts together while the glue dried.

I'm really pleased how this turned out and will be making one using photos of Kathryn.

It is very cold and snowy in Northville this morning.  The Arctic blast is back in full force and the wind chill effect is awful - there's not a huge amount of snow, but it's being blown all over the place.  I'm off out to the hair dresser this morning to have my hair done - trust me to pick a day when it's going to be blown all over!!!  That's all for now. 

signature

7 comments:

Valerie Brincheck said...

Love the shadow box and thanks for mentioning Stampeddler.

Sue Lelli said...

THIS is so AMAZING, Deb! LOVE the pics and the sentiment! FAB BG, too! LOVE it!

Unknown said...

This is cool Deborah! Hope you (or indeed the young man) don't mind if I pin!!!

Deepti said...

This is so cool, I guess I will have to try one too :) u son's pic as a toddler is so adorable :)

Claire said...

Doesn't he look like you? Gorgeous frame Deborah and I love how you've used all those stamps - that Kaisercraft DSP is so perfect for boys isn't it? Thanks for playing along at Colour Q this week!

Susan Hogan said...

Lovely Deborah. A great little shadow box. Hope the hair cut was fine and that the weather is not so Artic now.

Vicky Hayes said...

What a fabulous project! Great to see the transition from infant to young man too. Vicky x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...