Wednesday 2 April 2014

TMR - Science-Fiction ....

...  Hello, post number two today!!  It's time for our new challenge at The Male Room.  This time our theme is "Science Fiction", which gives you so much scope!!!  You can go for fun, cute, vintage, clean & simple, and inspiration can come from movies, books, comics or TV!    I actually made a couple of cards, here's the first one - an ultra clean and simple design:

Bow Ties are Cool - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Zig-Zag Background; My Favourite Things - Gift Card Greetings
Inks: Stampin' Up! - Early Espresso; Versamark
Dies: Die-namics - Beautiful Bows
Accessories: White Lustre Card; SU Card - Early Espresso; SU DP - Early Espresso; Copics

If you're a fan of Dr Who, then this reference will be obvious, if not, it refers to the fact that the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) wears a bow tie and thinks they are cool!  Before cutting out the pieces, I stamped a zig-zag pattern on the card using Versamark.  I used the  large Die-namic bow die to cut out the pieces.  The resulting bow has a rounded end, so I simply made the bow more triangular by cutting off the bits I didn't need.  I created the sentiment on the computer using the Arial font and added the subtle glow.  I finished the inside with a piece of brown design paper and a bold, fun greeting.

Bow Ties are Cool inside - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

My next card is for a little boy on his birthday:

Happy Birthday - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

Stamps: Winnie & Walter - Big Bang Confetti; Waltzingmouse - Half Pint Heroes
Inks: Kaleidacolour - Blue Breeeze; Stazon - Jet Black; Memento - London Fog; Versamark
Accessories: White Lustre Card; Stampin' Up! Card - Real Red; Glossy White Card; Copics

The little rocket comes from one of my favourite WMS sets - I've used it a few times!  And it just had to come out for a science fiction theme.  To create the background I punched a small circle from post-it note and placed it on the card, then I stamped lots of stars in Versamark.  I used a brayer to colour the background using Blue Breeze which gave this lovely gradient of colour.  After I removed the post-it circle I ran the brayer across the "moon"" to blend it with the background.  I stamped the rocket twice and colour the images with Copics.  I cut them and adhered them to the card with dimensional tape.  I finished with a simple greeting stamped in Stazon.  For the inside I cut a mat of red card and on the white card repeated the rocket image and added a birthday greeting.

Happy Birthday inside - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

For more inspiration with our Science Fiction theme, check out the cards from the rest of the design team.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what you make.  I have to admit to science fiction in all its forms is one of my favourite genres!  See you soon.

signature

8 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

That space card is so perfect for a little boy!

Louise van Vuren said...

Hats off to you for creating an adult sci-fi card as well as a little boy's card. Really like your Dr Who reference , great for any fan (and we're all fans in this house) awesome job, Deborah

Louise xx

Sue - said...

Love your lateral thinking with the bow tie! And the children's one is so cute!

Toni said...

Bow ties are indeed cool--great card!

G Peplow said...

FAB U LOUS!! I love CAS cards Deborah so these really appeal to my sense of clean space :D The little spaceman card is brilliant, what a great background too!!! :D x

Jacqueline said...

Love the Dr Who reference it's a great CAS card. The spaceship is pretty awesome too - Jacqueline xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Aw! I didn't get the Dr Who connection, but I may have done if I was a fan, however any other science fiction, I love :) 2 fab cards, love the clean lines of the first and the colour of the second in particular.

Thanks for the comment on my card, glad you understood some of it LOL.

FiestyCrafter (Tina) said...

I didn't remember the Dr Who episode, but the bow tie is classic! Your little space man is adorable! Love the cute little face peering out of the spaceship.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...